Today, I finished the scales on one side of the Fish - affectionately known in our house as Big Bad Barry*. This project is already creating lots of interest on Facebook, so I thought what better project to kick off the blog than this?
I started out with a head of a carp printed from Google, sketched out the sizing on the back patio one evening and then began spacing it out with steel rods which became the structure of the fish. Once I had the size right, I made the fins, tail and face.
Next, I began cutting scales. This is a job that takes an age and isn't particularly friendly on the hands - tin snips are brutal after a while! Once cut out, each scale is welded individually onto the body of the fish.
The whole project so far has taken me around 5 days and I anticipate at least another 3 days worth of work on scales alone! Once the scales are on, I'll allow the piece to change from a blue colour to a a golden brown as oxidisation takes place. Once I'm happy with the transformation, I'll degrease the piece and apply 3-4 coats of lacquer to seal and protect it from weather damage and further oxidisation.
When I imagined this piece originally, I anticipated that it would be an indoor piece, but with the lacquer as protection, it would also be suitable as an outdoor sculpture.
Keep checking back for more updates, I'll be cracking on with this piece and have a few other exciting projects in the pipeline